My Post Grad Guide to Self Care
Graduating college and starting a new job is tough. For the first time since age four, you're no longer a student. You're no longer within constant reach of your friends. You're no longer aware of the next logical life step to take. In my case, you're no longer in your home country. It's been five months since I started this crazy adventure in Germany, and let me tell you, it has been no cake walk. I have skipped many a meals to avoid having to interact with someone who didn't speak English (waitresses, grocery store clerks, etc.). I've gotten a speeding ticket and been forced to figure out German bureaucracy. I've stayed up to ungodly hours just to FaceTime the people I miss most.
Needless to say I've been having a hard time and it's been easy for me to blame it on this foreign place. That's definitely part of it, but not all.
Raise your hand if you're a member of the class of 2017 and have been a certified hot mess since graduation?
Now that we've gotten that pity party out of the way. Let's get down to business.
College Bridget thought the extent of self care was putting on a face mask or treating herself to materialistic purchases she really didn't need. Granted, these quick fixes are still a large part of my self care routine, but I've realized there's more to improving my emotional and physical state. (Realizing and implementing are two very different things). I look at a lot of my daily decisions and recognize they aren't doing me any favors, but change is hard and not instantaneous. I am not going to sit here, eating cereal for dinner for the third night in a row, running on four hours of sleep, pretending that I have all the self care answers. In order to help myself, and maybe you, I've compiled a list of daily reminders in an attempt to better my overall well-being.
- Dry Shampoo Can Only Get You So Far (Working Title of My Memoir)
- Take Out and Delivery are Not Food Groups
- Call Your Mom to Talk, Not Complain
- Yes, You Actually Do Have the Time & Energy to Exercise
- Homework is No Longer An Excuse for Your Atrocious Sleep Schedule
- Outer Order, Inner Peace (Clean Your Damn Apartment)
- That Online Shopping Order Will Only Make You Feel Good for About 10 Minutes
- Everyone on Social Media is Faking it Just as Much as You
- Take Notes on Paper, You Look at a Screen Enough
- Eating Better and Drinking Less Will Improve Your Skin
- That Overpriced Face Mask Probably Won't
- Get Up, Go Outside, and Take a Quick Walk at Work
- Turn Off Netlfix's "Play Next Episode Automatically" Feature Every Once in a While
- Never Underestimate the Wonders of Freshly Washed Sheets
- Go for Water Over Wine with Dinner
- Add Completed Tasks to a To Do List So You Can Immediately Cross Them Off
- That Thing on Your Living Room Floor is a Yoga Mat, Not a Rug
- Make Sure Your Fridge Contains More Than Just Condiments
- Maintaining Friendships is Harder than Ever (It's Worth It)
- Employed? Insured? Find a Freaking Therapist